Tuesday, July 21, 2009

what a day, what a day...

So...



Today, Caroline, Brian, and mama took Adam to have an upper GI and an ultra sound to try and get some answers about why he can't keep anything in his tummy. As soon as the tech did the ultra sound, she realized she didn't need to do the other. She immediately sent the family to LFP to get a doctor to read over what the ultra sound showed. Dr. Patterson was on call and saw Adam right away. He said that he has pyloric stenosis and needs to go have surgery immediately.

"Pyloric stenosis is a narrowing of the pylorus, the lower part of the stomach through which food and other stomach contents pass to enter the small intestine. When an infant has pyloric stenosis, the muscles in the pylorus have become enlarged to the point where food is prevented from emptying out of the stomach."

Needless to say, everyone hauled ass (excuse my language) to Greenville Memorial to meet with Dr. Abrams (I think that's his name). I left work, just as fast, and met everyone up there. As soon as the doctor saw Adam and his little belly, he knew what was wrong. He also said that he was too dehydrated to proceed with surgery today. He sent us over to the pediatric ward for Adam to be hooked to IVs so that he could rehydrate. Surgery will most likely be tomorrow.


PLEASE keep Adam and our family in your thoughts and prayers. Our little baby has been through HELL and is only TWO MONTHS OLD!

2 comments:

  1. I can't stand it - he looks so pitiful with those tubes in him! b

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness. I am so sorry Bec. My prayers and thoughts are with Adam, you, and your family! I'm sure he will be just fine. You Smith's are a tough crowd....tell Caroline I am thinking of her!

    ReplyDelete