Thursday, May 21, 2009

3 down, 2 to go

YAY! I only have today and tomorrow left. I guess you could say that it is bittersweet. I am going to miss Charleston and some of her qualities!! I never thought I would be so excited to move back home. A lot of people have questioned this decision...

  • WHY leave Charleston?

  • WHY quit a job in this economy?

  • WHY move back to po-dunk Laurens?

  • WHY? WHY? WHY?

Well...

  • BECAUSE I've been in Charleston for SIX years! I'm ready for some change in my life!

  • BECAUSE I got a new job!

  • BECAUSE I miss my family! I miss the country!! I miss the friendly people!!

  • BECAUSE! BECAUSE! BECAUSE!! I WANT TO!!

THAT'S MY STORY and I'm sticking to it:


I will always have a place in my heart for Charleston. I came here because it was in my blood. My mom went to College of Charleston, my dad went to the Citadel... They fell in love and had me! (after Caroline)... I wanted to move to this beautiful town with all of her history, her beaches, and because it was only 2.5 hours away from home!! I started College of Charleston in 2003. I had no clue what I wanted to do... well, I take that back. I knew I wanted to be a nurse but I wasn't really dead set on that (obviously). I ended up declaring my major, Communication (Corporate, to be exact). It took 4.5 years to finally graduated. During my 4.5 years, I joined a sorority, met new friends, hung out with old ones, and had a damn good time doing it all!! Once I graduated, I had to jump into the "real world" not knowing what the hell to expect!! I thought it would be easy as pie to find a good job that I loved... HAH. WRONG! I finally called a good friend, JP, who told me that he'd try to help me get into the banking world... never thought about doing banking!! BUT it worked! Got my first "big girl job" in January 2008 with NBSC as a teller at the downtown branch. I loved working downtown. I love the customers downtown. I love the employees downtown!! I asked if I could move up to become a personal banker so I was sent to training... being in this great economy, NBSC had a hiring freeze so no personal banking positions were open for me to fill. (go figure). NBSC had plans to build a branch on James Island... I was offered the head teller position. I took it even though that was a further drive for me in the mornings. I have met some really great people working over on James Island. I'm glad I took the opportunity!! The end of last year and the beginning of this year has been pretty tough for me. I won't get into all of the details but needless to say, It's time for a change (heart breaks, robberies, wrecks, etc.)!! As of May 26, I start my new job with the Palmetto Bank. I am really excited to work for the company. (Yes, I did try to transfer within the bank but once again, that hiring freeze got me!) My family has been banking with Palmetto for many, many years. It's a great small town bank where everyone knows your name!! I wanted to get a job in Greenville but the only opening position they had was for the Spartanburg area. I was offered the job the end of April. I wanted to make sure I took my vacation before I left NBSC because I knew that I wouldn't have another one until next year. So I took my week the week Adam was born. I'm so glad that I did that!! I got to spend everyday with my family and our newest addition, Adam. I got to be with my dad on his birthday too!! I wanted to be polite and do the right thing so I came back to Charleston on Mother's Day to work my final two weeks. It has been killing me being back. I feel like I'm missing out on so much even though it's only two weeks!! Caroline and Brian were sweet enough to stop through Charleston on their way to Litchfield yesterday so that I could see Adam and so that my work folks could meet my pride and joy!! They made it to the beach safely last night. I really hope the weather holds up for them and for the rest of us that are joining them this weekend. We are going to have a full house, but that's how we like it!!

2 comments:

  1. Rebecca:
    You will be greatly missed. I wish you the very best at your new job with Palmetto Bank. I hope that you come back and visit often. When I go and check out Lake Greenwood I will call you to get together. I will want to see little Adam too, he's such a cuttie!! I'm missing you already. Your forwever friend and second mom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey. Love Ya!

    ReplyDelete